Tuesday 7 May 2013

Daffodowndillies Square

The weather was still a bit dull and dreary a couple of weeks ago and so I decided to make a cushion for my friend who was turning 95.  She had not long had to go into a home and I thought I would make something that would brighten  her new room and hopfully cheer her up.

I found this pattern for the Daffodowndillies square which can be found on Ravelry.   I never knew that daffodils were once called daffodowndillies.  At the beginning of the pattern, Linda Nelson, who wrote the pattern, explains that this is the old fashioned word for them.

I rummaged through my Nan's stash of wool that I was given and came across a nice bright yellow, pale green and off white.

I made 4 x 11 inch daffodil squares and double crocheted them together. For the back I made a 11 inch square in treble crochet and filled it with a 12 inch cushion.  To edge the the cushion I experimented by chaining 3, then doing a treble crochet into the next stitch, slip stitch into the next stitch and chaining 3 into the same stitch as the slip stitch which created a lovely little frill.


I'm pleased to say that she was thrilled with it and also the shortbread biscuits I made her.  This would make a lovely Mother's Day present as well .

No comments:

Post a Comment